久しぶりです

久しぶりです。九月以来、そして旅行以来、ポストしてませんでしたね。

特別楽しい旅行でした。それ以来、何歩か前に進めました。旅行であってもただの遊びじゃなかったと色々な面で実感しました。


例えば歳月掛けて築いてきた友情の大切さ。「旅」そのものの大切さ。足が痛くなるまで歩くことのやりがい。やりたいことがあればケチらないでやるということ。夕日を眺めながら腹を割って話し合い、こういう友達がいてよかったと思えたこと。

この二週間ほど実は気分的にいまいちで、去年も今頃どんよりしていた記憶があります。でも旅で覚えたことを思い出したら元気がでてきました。それからもう一つ:自分に言い聞かせる励ましの言葉は日本語で心がけます。幸い、いまだに私の心に一番よく響く言語は日本語のようです。私にとって英語・フランス語は日本語で聴く家族の話と映画にかないません。

例えば:がんばれ。できる。呼吸を忘れずに。背筋を伸ばして。私にはできる。焦らずに。大丈夫。

最近の読書 / Recent reads:
ニコライ・ゴーゴリ:「死せる魂」/ Nikolai Gogol: Dead Souls

音楽 / Music:
ゴリラズ:「ディーモン・デイズ」/ Gorillaz: Demon Days, Capitol 1212: "Good Feelin"

It's been a while. I haven't posted since September or from getting back from my trip.

It was an especially wonderful trip. And since then, I've been able to make some progress in my life. In many respects, it was more than just a trip for fun.

For example, I saw the value of the friendships I built over the years. The meaning of journeys themselves. Walking until our feet hurt—and loving it. Once I saw things I really wanted to do, getting past my thriftiness and just doing it. Heart-to-hearts in front of the setting sun and gratitude for such friends.

I've actually been in a funk for the past two weeks, and I remember going through something similar this time last year. But remembering what I learned on this trip has given me some strength. And one more thing—how do we say this in English—I'm going to use Japanese when I need to give myself words of strength. Fortunately, the language that resonates most within me is still Japanese. Neither English nor French hold the emotional power that Japanese does when it comes to hearing my family's conversations or movies in Japanese.

For instance: You can do it. Don't forget to breathe. Stand tall. You have it in you. Everything is going to be okay.

William Lands Parkにて。この旅ではなんと数多くのアンフィテアトルムに行った事でしょう。
William Lands Park. I went to so very many amphitheaters on this trip.

サクラメント旧市街の橋脚。
A pier at Old Sacramento ("Old Sac").

ファスト・フード・チェンIn-N-Outの駐車場。ベイエリアの夕暮れはどこに行ってもすばらしかったです。
The parking lot at an In-N-Out. Bay Area sunsets were splendid, no matter where we were.

私の大好きなフリート・フォクシーズ。観ました!
I saw my beloved Fleet Foxes!

ロンバード・ストリートからサンフランシスコを見下ろして。
Looking down on San Francisco from Lombard Street.

ミア・ビーチ。
Muir Beach.

バークリー・ローズ・ガーデン。ここで腹を割って話し合いました。
Berkeley Rose Gardens, where we had our heart-to-heart.



Comments

  1. Hello lk...

    Very nice entry, and the photos were picturesque. My entire California experience revolves around LAX.

    Your comment about friendships and journeys themselves were interesting. I have often thought the same. Built being the operative word regarding friendships, I wonder if you ever read Ovid.

    Your language comments were interesting to me. Moreover, a refreshing honesty. We are who we are primarily due to language and felt meaning from birth. That's quite an over simplification of a thousand or more studies...from the nuerons firing in the brain with the onset of language, to cultural implications. Fascinating. I'm surprised you just recently understood an aspect of it personally.

    Feel better mood wise. Last year same thing? Seasons effect us all. Sometimes it's what they represent, and sometimes it's quite scientific. Find something nice to think about every day...easier said than done but possible.

    Last but not least, I apologize for not looking at your blog sooner. I checked a few times in summer, and saw no new enteries, then got busy and forgot.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think everybody will find a part of California to like, but having a bunch of friends there, I'm liable to be biased :)

    "Find something nice to think about every day...easier said than done but possible. " Yes, and I'm going to start counting my blessings when the going gets tough.

    No worries at all, of course, about the blog. It's a place to wander to when the fancy strikes, like a café. No feeling of obligation necessary.

    All my best.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment